Bruna Husky, a ex-combat replicant who is now a private detective gets drawn into (and targeted we later find within) a conspiracy against Earth and Techno-humans (replicants):
- by a neighbour trying to kill her in her apartment who then kills herself;
- finding out there have more of these cases;
- then the whole thing going political and Husky being accused of many things but including the murder of human-separatist leader.
Don't this put you off, what you actually have is a story with several levels:
- A detective story around a series of murders and the politics;
- A near-future story about aliens, humans and artificial humans; their conflicts and biases;
- About someone not just 'finding themselves' but actually creating what they want to be; who they do or don't want to be with;
- Last but not least, an enjoyable read.
To read other reviews: